Macau Health officials have refuted suggestions the SAR must wait until Hong Kong is ready before it can open its borders with neighboring Guangdong Province, insisting all possible solutions remain on the table.
Hong Kong this week extended its quarantine policies for arrivals from Macau, mainland China and Taiwan until 7 July, and to all others until September, after six new COVID-19 cases via community transmission were detected in the previous seven days. It had previously gone two weeks with no new cases.
The news has sparked fears the entire Greater Bay Area will remain sealed until all governments deem it fully safe to open, however health officials in Macau said Wednesday it is possible for Macau and Guangdong Province to ease their cross-border restrictions earlier than Hong Kong.
“It’s not necessary to reopen borders in synchronization with the three places, every situation is possible,” Conde S. Januario Hospital Doctor Alvis Lo Iek Long told media. The doctor called on all to remain “patient.”